Friday, September 4, 2009

Swine Flu, Drama Club, Extra Pay, Planning From The Hip

There have been a few deaths from swine flu in Taiwan and the public schools are being very proactive. All teachers and students have their temperature taken at the gate to the school when they arrive in the morning. If you have a temperature then you go to the doctor and get tested for the virus. If you have the virus then you cannot go to school until you are well. It may seem like they're over reacting, but the avian flu hit Taiwan hard and I think some people in charge lost their heads (as the saying goes) for not doing enough. So, now they are doing more than enough.
On a brighter note, I have just learned that I will be 'teaching' the Drama Club on Friday mornings. I will have to write and produce a 30-45 minute play in English. I will also have a few classes after school for advanced students. All of these classes will be considered extra hours and I will get extra pay. This is one the big benefits of working for the public schools in Taiwan.
I'm still not sure what the rest of my teaching schedule will be until next week. I know that I will not have my own classroom. I know that the regular classrooms are standard or even primitive. They are old school. The classrooms have small desks and a blackboard. I could get an overhead projector, but I would have to bring it to each classroom, and I've been told that some classes don't have a screen so what's the point. I've also been told not to worry about reading, writing, and grammar. I'm creating original lesson plans without a textbook, and I have the impression that they want the students to be excited to learn (have fun if you will). I interpret this as lots of singing and games. I'll still need to slide some listening activities, fill in the blank, drill and repeat, and other teacher directed learning to keep the students in line. In many ways, I'm planning from the hip and taking no prisoners.

No comments:

Post a Comment