Saturday, September 12, 2009

Campus And Classrooms At Wuci

This is a temperature taking station
outside of the health office. Students
and faculty get their temperature taken every
morning.
This is the track and field in back of the school.
There is an outside basketball court at the end.
They also have a gymnasium for plays, ceremonies,
and other sports. Oh, and there's an underground
table tennis room. They created some above ground
parking and must have made a service area below. Now
it is used for table tennis, a big sport in Taiwan.

This is the common area. The school
buildings are arranged like a large, four
story triangle.
This is a typical classroom. Not much
in the way of technology. Students
are assigned to a classroom and stay
with the same kids all day. The teachers
move around from classroom to
classroom. Last year, the foreign teacher
had her own room with a computer projector, white
board and huge tables. There's a good chance I'm making
more money than most teachers and maybe
the principle. I told them, not in these words,
that I wanted to be in the trenches with them. Besides,
other teachers should have access to that technology so
I didn't want to seem selfish. It's also good for me to get
down to teaching basics.
Another view of the classroom. You will
notice that there are no air conditioners.
I can't wait for winter and cooler days.
Oh yeah, notice the mops hanging on the wall.
They also clean the blackboard. I come to class
early to write down the agenda on the board.
Of course, I start cleaning the board. Students practically
knock each other over to get to the blackboard and clean
it off for me. Every teacher gives 0-5 points for classroom
cleanliness each period.

1 comment: