Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My First Full-Day Of School

Apparently I'm not the only one confused (see my post from yesterday). I went to my first class today and the regular teacher wasn't expecting me until next week. So, I don't feel too bad about accidentally blowing off the 4:00 PM class yesterday (Uh, I was only 10 minutes late). And since were talking about being late I've noticed that students and teachers are not real firm on class starting times. In fact, I was five minutes into my first class (I was 10 minutes early today) when the teacher arrived at the classroom. As I mentioned, she was surprised to see me there, but she introduced me and let me go on with the lesson. The students are very shy, it is hard to get them to speak alone or ask questions. Even with their regular teachers they are used to a teacher-centered, drill-and-repeat type of class. It is good that I have a friendly personality and a good sense of humor, but I don't push the students to speak...at least not yet. The after school class (for extra pay) was really great. They are the advanced students and they come from all the surrounding schools to take the class. In general, they are more motivated so I will be able to try more activities with this group. After my first day I'm tired and my throat is sore but it's good to teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment