Monday, September 7, 2009

Surprises And Cool Reminders From Home

Well, the first surprise came when the military 'boy' who guards the school took my rusty bike to be fixed. The bottom bracket was squealing and clunking and the chain would slip on the rear cogs. He told me he was going to use the bike to 'patrol' the school grounds, or that's what I thought he said. It was a great surprise. Now, I can pedal again. We need guys like this at the public schools in the U.S.

The other surprise was getting my class schedule at 3:00 and realizing I had a class at 4:00. But, I wasn't expecting to start until tomorrow. No plan...who needs plans. I had a lot of fun in class. I'm like a reed. Those years of substitute teaching have made me tough but flexible. My schedule is light on Mondays and Wednesdays, but it's heavy on Tuesday and Thursday. It will be good to start the week on a quiet note. I have two classes tomorrow. I will plan for those classes, but it's good to know that I can do it on the fly.

I'm still unpacking and found a refrigerator magnet that a friend made for me. It has a quote from Martin Buber (Austrian philosopher) that reads, "All journeys have secret destinations of which of the traveler is unaware." It's a good way to mark the way to my food and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment