Saturday, September 12, 2009

Old School Teacher

I saw a student get wacked across the back of his legs in the teacher's office the other day. A law was made three years ago that makes hitting students illegal, but obviously some teachers still use the practice. She is an older teacher and I think it was fairly common before the law was passed. I'm told Confucius promoted punishing students with physical pain to make them stronger. I'm very glad this is the first time I have seen this, but it is only the second week of school. It really made me uncomfortable and I could tell the younger teachers in the office were uncomfortable too. That gives me hope...there are better ways motivate students. What do you teach a student when you punish them with physical pain? If you have a problem with a subordinate you hit them. I won't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment