Friday, August 21, 2009

Don't Think Too Much

I was talking with one of my cooperating Taiwanese English teachers today (as I will be teaching all the students in the school I have many cooperating teachers). We were talking about my classroom, lesson planning, and the students. Even though I'm not teaching yet I have been coming to school to research websites and familiarize myself with the textbooks that the Taiwanese English teachers will be using. I will be using the textbooks as an outline for my lesson plans. I want to reinforce the vocabulary, grammar, and structures that they will be learning in their regular English class. But, my lessons will need to stand alone and create their own progression and context. Anyway, we were talking about discipline and classroom management when the teacher said, "There are many cultures, but kids are kids."
"I know," I replied. "And the waiting is the hardest part. These past few weeks of planning and organizing have been hard for me because I think about things. I need to get in the classroom and do it."
She said with a smile, "Don't think too much. The students are very lucky to have you."

1 comment:

  1. apt advice for many things! Don't think too much! They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete