Friday, August 28, 2009

ARC, Chinese Name, And A Taiwan Bank Account

I have my Alien Resident Card (the ongoing joke is that I always suspected I was an alien but now I have a card to prove it), a Chinese name (engraved on a wooded stamp), and a bank account. It should all be downhill from here (in my dreams). The wooden stamp will be used to endorse checks or sign other documents. The proper pronunciation is Tah-Mah-Shur. My new Taiwanese bank account is at the Post Office. My paycheck is deposited directly into my account. The Post Office provides many services and products besides checking/savings accounts and mail. Here is a list: toys, heath and beauty products, train tickets, freeway toll tickets, anti-tuberculosis certifications, revenue stamps, auto and motorcycle insurance premiums, mutual funds, civil service exams, and gold/silver coins. I will still need to wire money to my US bank account to pay bills in the United States, but it turns out the Post Office has a discounted wiring agreement with my bank (yes!). Oh, and the Post Office also has a website in English (oh, yeah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment