Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas In Taiwan

Well, it's Christmas eve in Taiwan. I just had some dinner and drinks with some teachers. I got a couple of CDs by Joanna Wang, a bottle of Tequilla, and some cycling gloves. Joanna Wang is a young singer, composer, and left handed guitar player with a sexy and mature voice. She sings in English and Taiwanese and covers some great songs like New York State of Mind, Tikiville, Vincent, and Rebel Rebel. I'm very thankful for how welcome people make me feel in Taiwan. Santa Clause even made a visit to the school today to pass out candy. It's amazing how little familiar things from home make me feel more comfortable. Little things I never paid much attention to while I was living in the United States have become vivid and clear. My time in Taiwan has really brought these things to the surface and solidified them for me. For this I am thankful too. What will be the little things that are solidified from Taiwan I wonder?

Tonight, while I was riding my bicycle home, I rode by the gymnasium. There was a dancing class inside that I could spy through the open doors. I smiled as I noticed a large group of people dancing alone with invisible partners to "Itsy Bitsy Bikini." Wiggily beautiful strangeness follows me wherever I go. Or, is that wiggily strangeness in my head waiting to look out? Does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment