Monday, November 2, 2009

Typhoon Without The Rain

I've been warned about the windy winters in Wuci. Well, now I know what everyone has been talking about. Sure, I've noticed that it's a windy city. It's a coastal city, but today was some of the strongest winds I've ever felt. The weather for Taichung says 39 kph winds (about 20 mph), but Taichung is 30 km inland and there is a mountain between it and the coast. Wuci is a port town so there is no protection from the wind. Anyway, I've felt 50-60 mph gusts in Colorado in January in the mountains. I think the winds in Wuci are approaching 75 mph or hurricane winds. On my way to the bank, on the north side of town where there is no protection from buildings, I had to get off my bike. As I stood there waiting for the wind to subside (and trying not to get blown over) a woman got blown off her scooter next to me. I laid my bike on the ground to help her get out from under her scooter. As I was lifting up the scooter, my bicycle was getting blown down the street. Luckily, another man stopped and got out of his car to help so I could chase my bicycle blowing down the street. Small trees along the road were getting uprooted too. What I find interesting about all of this is that the Taiwanese are so cautious about typhoons, but apparently typhoon strength winds when it is sunny is no big deal. It is very curious indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment