Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bicycling In Denver And Biding My Time

Denver, and Colorado in general, is very bicycle-friendly. There are many bike lanes along the streets and hundreds of miles of dedicated bike paths that pass under the roads and highways. In Denver I can ride my bicycle for 40 miles and never have to cross a street or watch for traffic. Well, you have to watch for other bicyclists, pedestrians, and the occasional equestrian, but the bike paths are motor traffic free. As I wait for my next 'assignment' these bike paths are an excellent distraction and stress reducer. 




Ralston Creek Trail to Clear Creek Trail Loop (30 miles)
This is where I began. It is where the Ralston Creek Trail meets the Clear Creek Trail. I will follow the Ralston Creek Trail west for about 15 miles. In the foothills, I will go south and meet the Clear Creek Trail and follow that back to this spot. 



One of the many parks along the trail. The short pole with chains in the middle of the picture is for frisbee golf.  The guy on the right is getting ready to throw over the creek.





So, this is one of the many underpasses for the bicycle trails in Denver.

A flock of ducks relaxing on a small dam. The bicycle paths usually follow creeks and canals so there is a good chance you will see some wildlife.


I always stop at this bench on the Ralston Creek Trail.




Geese on the gold course. Golf is very popular in Colorado too.



The trail is starting to climb and turn up the foothills. I'm coming to the end of the Ralston Creek Trail.




This sign is not a joke. You may see people riding horses along these trails.




The view from my front wheel. I'm cycling south to the Clear Creek Trail. That is South Table Mountain. I will bike along South Table Mountain, but there are trails to the top and hundreds of sport climbing routes on the cliffs near the top.

Yeah, watch for flooding.



There are some police that patrol the trails on mountain bikes, but I've never seen them clocking for speeders.




No comments:

Post a Comment