Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiku For The Future

So, I'm waiting for the bus by the Capital Hotel. It's a nice Hotel in Wuci where foreigners and businessmen stay. Sometimes, I will wait inside and drink some coffee. There's a young guy working the counter who is studying English so he likes to talk to me. He went to school in Wuci and knows many of the teachers that I work with. He says he wished there were foreign English teachers at Wuci JHS when he was going to school. I'm the fourth or fifth foreign teacher they've had at Wuci JHS.

As I sit, a blue garbage truck rolls by spitting smoky fumes. The motto on the side of the truck reads, "Overlook The Future". I know what they're trying to say, but the irony makes me smile a cynical smile. It's a cold and windy day and the smog is hanging in the air. I open my small journal and write this:

Blue garbage truck reads
Overlook The Future
Yellow sky, cold wind

No comments:

Post a Comment